My Sis and I

My Sis and I
Summer on Alpena Street
One of my favorite sayings from the show Emily Owens, MD

"We make all these plans of how things will turn out; but life happens, plans change, so we adapt. We draw on strength we didn't know we had; we give up any illusions of control, and we deal head on with problems that come our way."




Tuesday, December 10, 2013

HOW WE MET




God had such a grand plan in putting Bruce and I together.  Image....he brought Bruce back from living in New Zealand just to meet me. I, on the other hand, was done with dating and just wanted to get out on my own and experience life.

I was singing in a traveling group at the time and unbeknownst to me, our bass player knew Bruce and even went to the same church.  My high school friend and neighbor also knew Bruce and the bass player since she attended their church as well. So, you can see the picture forming here. Yes.  They did get together and come up with a plan informing Bruce as well.

Upon my return from a singing engagement over the weekend, my scheming neighbor had left a message with my mom for me to please call when I returned.  I called.  She invited me to come to her church that evening and informed me she had someone for me to meet.  

Having been on the road all day, I was pretty tired and just wanted to curl up on the couch with my favorite snack food and just chill out.  Not wanting to disappoint my friend's well-laid plans, I consented to the meeting with some reluctance.

As I entered the church that evening, I greeted people I hadn't seen in some time and got caught up on on current events.

I sat with Candy on the other side of the church from where Bruce was seated - probably sat here to not appear desperate or something.

At the end of service, I talked a bit with others around me and then noticed Bruce making his way over to me. He sat down beside me and said, "I think we are meant to go out with Candy and Brad after church to Walli's.  Do you want to ride in my car?"  I nodded my consent.

Now let me just press the pause button here for a minute.  I remembered meeting Bruce one year previously at Candy's house for a Bible study group she invited me to.  I wasn't impressed at all in meeting him there.  But now.....what a change had transpired. I noticed how good-looking and dark-skinned he was, pretty eyes, hair cut and slightly curly, nice rugged look, trim and fit.  The lights were coming on.

On to the story.  Candy and Brad at this time were engaged and planning a wedding next April. So during our late night meal at Walli's that's what they talked about.  I truly cannot remember what Bruce and I talked about. It's all a blur.

Upon leaving Walli's, Bruce drove me back to the church so I could get my car. He walked me to my car.  I got in, rolled the window down to say "good-bye", "had a nice time", when he spoke up and said, "I don't know what you think about all this, but we can give it a try.  If it doesn't work out, we at least have them off our backs."  I verbally expressed my agreement, which he told me later took him by surprise and started his interest in me.  I wasn't a clingy, needy 19-year-old woman.  I knew what I wanted in a dating relationship more now than when I was in High School, wasn't afraid to say this isn't working out, had a complete trust that God would take care of me, didn't need to have a relationship.  I had goals.  I had purpose.

Needless to say, we hit it off very well.  Some of our dating time was spent together on youth event trips, since he was helping out in the youth ministry.  We did get some time at For-Mar, Bluebell Ramp, Stepping Stone Falls to walk and talk.  Yes walk and talk. Bruce didn't kiss me until three months later for which I'm very grateful. 

Our dating began in August, engagement in January and wedding July 30th 1977.

I can truly say this was one of the best decisions of my life and still feel that way 39 years later.

God knew what He was doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment