My Sis and I

My Sis and I
Summer on Alpena Street
One of my favorite sayings from the show Emily Owens, MD

"We make all these plans of how things will turn out; but life happens, plans change, so we adapt. We draw on strength we didn't know we had; we give up any illusions of control, and we deal head on with problems that come our way."




Monday, March 17, 2014

FINISH THE RACE



Last Saturday was the big 4 mile run/walk.  I was excited to get out of the house that Saturday and get my feet hitting the pavement and breathing in the fresh air of the soon-to-come Spring.  This time around, I chose to walk since the bottoms of my feet have become tender when running over two miles.

Upon arriving, we weren't sure if we would find a parking spot. Thankfully, one was waiting for us just a few feet from the entrance.  We checked in, received our race number and expectantly waited with the rest of the crowd.

Since it was the St. Patrick's Day event, costumes of green exploded everywhere. Socks and legwarmers of stripes and plaids, tutu's, running skirts and tops, hats of all shapes and sizes, stickers on the face, big green sunglasses all made their appearance.

The comradery of all participants is always my favorite to see.  I met two women who joined a running club two years ago.  These women are in their 40's and have become close friends with each other and the women in their running club.  They were all decked out in their green sunglasses and crazy hats.  Both women were from the Rochester area and participate in races all over the state. 

Friendliness abounds.

I also met my running buddy from high school, Vicki.  We ran track together for two years - sophomore and Junior years. We were a great team.  I hadn't seen her since our 10 year class reunion. We had become "friends" on Facebook recently, so I found out she was running this race.  There wasn't much time to chit chat before the race but it was great to see her beautiful smile again.  We're talking about meeting up and taking a walk and just catching up on life. You just never know who you will meet.

The runners start first.  As the walkers are heading to the starting point, we're conversing with each other, laughing and joking around. 

Personalities shine. 

I try to start in the middle of the pack, so I feel like I'm accomplishing something if I pass someone.  Crazy right? One of my goals in this walk was to find a woman who was ahead of me and match my steps to hers. I found many such woman, but kept wondering why I wasn't getting closer.  What's up with that? Still scratching my head on that point.

I was challenged to walk faster though.  I find that when my mind is tired, I walk slower.  This was a tired mind day, so I had to quickly find that not-so-slow-minded person to give me a walk for my money.

When the mile one marker came into view, every walker cheered loudly. Those on the sidelines encouraged us on to mile marker two. 

Onward!

For some reason, I never saw mile marker two.  Wondering out loud I said, "good grief! is mile two ever coming"?, finding out later it was right after the first water station where a large group had gathered to voice their encouragement again to us.  "Good job" they said. "You're almost there. Keep walking on"!  

I found myself saying just those words to those who would pass me. It's just that kind of atmosphere.  Mostly, people are trying to beat their last time or get some form of exercise.
   
In the middle of mile two, my feet began to ache. I did have this evil thought - "I don't know if I can finish this.  I could just rip my number off, give Bruce a call on my cell and have him come pick me up". Then the good thought kicked in - "No, Sharon! You finish this race even if you are last. The ache isn't that bad. The key word here is FINISH!  Don't give up!  Feet don't fail me now".  

I kicked my walking into a higher gear at the last mile.  It paid off. I found myself with a new determination. I felt like a horse heading back to the barn.  They tend to pick up the pace knowing their almost home and will receive a reward - food, a scrub down, a slap on the behind.  

As I turned the last corner, there in my view was the finish line - all downhill. Oh joy! I jogged over the finish line.  Applause, a medal, a feeling of accomplishment, and gratefully, no slap on the behind.

In my Christian walk, I want to finish well. No giving up when things get messy, difficult or painful. Pushing through my discomfort with an eternal view.  I want to be the one jogging over that finish line, receiving the applause of Heaven, the reward waiting for me because....

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith".  2 Timothy 4:7 NIV



No comments:

Post a Comment