My Sis and I

My Sis and I
Summer on Alpena Street
One of my favorite sayings from the show Emily Owens, MD

"We make all these plans of how things will turn out; but life happens, plans change, so we adapt. We draw on strength we didn't know we had; we give up any illusions of control, and we deal head on with problems that come our way."




Friday, January 31, 2014

CRAVINGS


I'm really trying to curb my snack attacks. There are just times when I crave something crunchy and salty or sweet and tasty...hint...chips, cookies.  What is it about a bowl of potato chips with an ice cold glass of R.C. Cola on ice that satisfies me.... for a short time? Or a cookie to grace my hot cup of Earl Grey tea?

I don't want these chips, Cola, or delicious cookies, but my cravings have been winning the war on me losing pounds and inches. 

But no more!  These cravings will be overruled.  The gavel has sounded.

You might be asking, "how, Sharon, will you attempt such a feat? How will you put your foot down on these chill-out, gotta-have cravings of yours?"

Last week, I started an online Bible Study titled "Made to Crave" by author Lysa Terkeurst. She is giving me incentive to stop dragging my 10-pounds-over-the-limit self to the junk food cabinet. Side bar: Albeit, yesterday was a mighty hard day for me. My body was in withdrawal.  I wanted cookies like nobody's business. Oh please! Can't I have just a handful of chocolate too? I did not give in.  I headed to the kitchen to cut up strawberries, kiwi, yellow and red peppers and a handful of nuts on the side. Phew! Victory!   I'm learning to say "no" to my food cravings - managing to take little steps each day.

One of the verses in this study is found in I Corinthians 10:23a (NIV):

"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial."

Meaning - I can have that junk food if I want, but will it be beneficial to my overall physical health?  This verse is conveniently placed at eye level on my fridge.

A Big Surprise!


Within the pages of the "Made to Crave" book, there is a surprising element.  Lysa says this:

"Is it possible we love and rely on food more than we love and rely on God?"

Say what? I'm relying on food more than on God?  She further says that food was her reward.  Food was her joy.  Food was what she turned to in times of stress, sadness, and even in times of happiness.

Ouch! Toes being stepped on here. I am realizing all to clearly that certain foods are a comfort to me. Hence.....the label of "comfort food."

What's A Girl To Do?

I must realize that my craving snacks is an indication of something going on internally. I'm trying to find comfort in food and not in God. 

Too often I forget to rely on God to ease my troubles and gravitate towards cookies, bad carbs, bad fats and....oh let's just go there -all things starchy and sweet.  I seek a comfort bandage, but always feel disappointed when it's over.

Why do I feel this disappointment?

Because I sought comfort from something other than my God.  I ran to the fridge or pantry instead of running to God.  I think it's me saying "I've got this" or "I can handle this all by myself." When, in fact, I cannot.  Thus, the disappointment, feeling unsatisfied yet again.

The comfort found through his spirit is the only thing that can ease my struggles and stresses.

I'm finding this truth as I walk through my Bible study with "Made to Crave." 

What Needs Changing

My old thought patterns must have a different script.  Instead of saying, "I need these chips. I have to have these chips."  I can write a new script.  How about this: "chips will only taste good for a moment Sharon.  This will put on inches of fat and more pounds."

Running to God for my comfort, writing a new script when I feel the need to find comfort in my pantry, I realize is a process.  I must be intentional each day to make better choices.  

Call To Action

Psalm 34:8 reminds me to let God's Word satisfy the hungry places of my soul: "Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man (woman) who takes refuge in Him." (NIV)


No comments:

Post a Comment