My Sis and I

My Sis and I
Summer on Alpena Street
One of my favorite sayings from the show Emily Owens, MD

"We make all these plans of how things will turn out; but life happens, plans change, so we adapt. We draw on strength we didn't know we had; we give up any illusions of control, and we deal head on with problems that come our way."




Friday, June 27, 2014

ADVENTURE



This writing today is from a special friend - Sara Chambers.  You can visit her Facebook Community page "Healthiest Mama".  I love her take on adventure.

Adventure: an undertaking usually involving danger & unknown risks: the encountering of risks <the spirit of adventure>: an exciting or remarkable experience. 
Matthew 4:19 Come follow me and I will send you out to fish.

I (Sara) love the definition of adventure. It’s almost exactly opposite of how I’d naturally want to define it. My definition would be: excitement, thrill, exploring the unknown! All positives. Oh, so romantic.

The fact is that this lifelong adventure called “faith”, this adventure of following Jesus is scary, hard, and full of risk and the unknown.

I've had my share of adventures- moving to Indonesia to plant a church, traveling to Afghanistan to volunteer with helping rebuild the government & working in a Mother Theresa home for the destitute and the dying in India to name just a few. But all of these adventures I’ve been on were all just an outward expression of an inner working of faith happening inside of me.

My husband likes to say that life with God is full of adventures and risks and leaps of faith. And sometimes these adventures involve suffering. Sometimes you’re stuck out at sea scooping out water with your hands in a little canoe in the middle of a horrendous storm with no end in sight.
There’s pain when things don’t go how we had planned or expected. Or when we’re abandoned by our shipmates. Or when a big ship that could save us, passes us by.

But, sometimes the adventure is glorious and you’re praising Him from the middle of the ocean while watching a sunset with a view that only a person that was crazy enough to follow Him to the middle of the ocean would have.

Jesus says, “Come follow me” and all He asks for in our response is “Yes, I will follow You”. Day after day after year after year we say “yes” to Him over and over again. Sometimes it’s a tiny whisper and other times an echoing shout. And each time He is pleased.

What adventure are you currently in and how are you responding to the difficulties of it?

Is God calling you to a new adventure? Will you say “yes” again?


Prayer: Lord I will follow You again today. I will say “yes” to Your ways. Thank you that You know all of my days and that You see every step of faith I take for You. Thank you that You are PLEASED when I say, “I will follow You”.
Teach me to fish for souls.

No comments:

Post a Comment