My Sis and I

My Sis and I
Summer on Alpena Street
One of my favorite sayings from the show Emily Owens, MD

"We make all these plans of how things will turn out; but life happens, plans change, so we adapt. We draw on strength we didn't know we had; we give up any illusions of control, and we deal head on with problems that come our way."




Monday, June 30, 2014

When We Have Said: "I Have Had Enough....Lord"

I


Have you ever had seasons where you find yourself crying out "enough...I've had enough Lord."

It's reassuring to know that in I Kings 19:4 Elijah was crying that same cry:

Then he went on alone into the wilderness, traveling all day.  He sat down under a solitary broom tree and prayed that he might die. "I have had enough, Lord," he said.  "Take my life, for I am no better than my ancestors who have already died."

It's not as if the Lord doesn't know already the place we have come to in our exasperated cries.  

Psalm 34:17 shows us so clearly that He hears:

"The righteous cry out and the Lord hears....

What should our response be during these times of depleted energy, weariness, pressures of living life, and the I've-just-had-enough-of-this cries?

For me, I must find a place to be alone and just be still.  A quiet place to reflect with confidence when the burners are turned up full blast and I have the need to run away.  During this time, I remember He is working all of this out for some redeeming value - mostly an inward work in me - reminding me who is greater.

I know I cannot get to this place on my own.  It's difficult for me to lead myself to a place of peace.  It takes an intentional effort on my part to walk away from my overactive thoughts, fears and worries, to take a "time out" and enter into the peace that only God can give me.

Only when I still my soul and know that He is God - the key word being "know", can I be set in the right direction - the direction of peace.

You will find in verse 5 of I Kings 19 that after this outcry, "he lay down under the tree and fell asleep."  Wouldn't that be nice?

Your Turn

If you happen to be in that place of weariness today, take the time to be still and reflect on God's Word.  When you do this, it will still your anxiousness and everything that weighs so heavily on your heart.

Your circumstances may not change, but you will find the strength and peace you need to just keep walking.

"Come with me by yourself to a quiet place" - Mark 6:31

"Be still before the Lord" - Zechariah 2:13

"True to your word, you let me catch my breath and send me in the right direction" - Psalm 23:3

1 comment: