My Sis and I

My Sis and I
Summer on Alpena Street
One of my favorite sayings from the show Emily Owens, MD

"We make all these plans of how things will turn out; but life happens, plans change, so we adapt. We draw on strength we didn't know we had; we give up any illusions of control, and we deal head on with problems that come our way."




Monday, August 18, 2014

Sing, Make Music, Don't Be A Fool......


In my devotion time, I read the first six verses of Psalm 92 wanting to break apart these verses and glean truths for my own everyday living.  I'm not a Bible scholar by any means, but I depend on the Holy Spirit to enlighten these verses to my simple intellect.  This is my journal entry:  

Psalm 92:1  "It is good to praise the Lord and make music to Your name, O Most High....

What two actions are good for me to do? To praise the Lord and make music. To whom?  To the most favored one, the one who sits in highest authority over my life - God.

Psalm 92:2 "Proclaiming Your love in the morning and Your faithfulness at night."

What does it mean to "proclaim?"  Announce officially, declare something important with emphasis.  What should I be proclaiming in my praise and my music?  How his love is with me when I rise in the morning and his faithfulness has watched over me all day and into the evening.  Proclaim the evidence of it being seen.

Psalm 92:3 "...to the music of the ten-stringed lyre and the melody of the harp."

Instruments are involved in my proclamation of love and faithfulness. I'm so glad about that.  I love sitting at my piano and making music to my God.

Psalm 92:4 "For you make me glad by Your deeds, Lord; I sing for joy at what Your hands have done."

By the very actions that God performs, the works that He does make me glad.  When I see what God has done with my own eyes, I want to shout, celebrate, dance about.  The writer says he wants to sing for joy.....me too!!  It's His hands that did it!  He performed some great works!

Psalm 92:5  "How great are Your works, Lord; how profound Your thoughts"....

Look at what happens after the writer has praised God for his love, faithfulness and works; he begins to expound on His greatness.  Great works.  Vast depth of thoughts.  This is what happens when we have spent time singing and making music to God and Him only.  Our view changes.  We are lifted into another realm - no longer seeing things in the natural or at a ground level.  This should be my song when I rise and at the end of the day.

God's thoughts cannot be measured, showing great knowledge and insight, great depth.  As Charles Spurgeon wrote:

"In the eternal God, the conception (the idea) and the execution (carrying out or putting into effect) go together."

Psalm 92:6 "senseless people do not know, fools do not understand."

The psalmist now begins to make comparisons.  Senseless people cannot comprehend the works of God, even though it's all around them.  They chose not to know, not to take the initiative to comprehend.  The word "stupid" is used here.  To me a stupid person, or a fool, is arrogant, overly self-confident or parades his/her intellect and yet refuses to see the evidence clearly revealed.

So......

Praise. Make music. Proclaim His love and faithfulness.  Sing for joy. Spend time in worship and see your "view" change. Most of all.....don't be a fool.

No comments:

Post a Comment